Monday, March 29, 2010

I AM THE NEW BLACK




I don't know exactly what lined up for me to have such strong emotions about Tracy Morgan? I came across an old interview on NPR's Fresh Air over the weekend and was swallowed up. He talks about his book I Am the New Black, an autobiography of his life growing up. While I'm obviously a huge fan of his alter ego Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock....But the intensity that is present in his comedy transfers into every other emotion that did--I will admit--made me cry tears. Maybe a mixture of falling upon this interview and the overwhelming contents of the weekend events hit me just right, or maybe I'm just a bigger fool for celebrity than I thought. Either way, hit up this interview on NPR's website, I don't think you'll be sorry. 
Speaking of celebrity, there was an awesome opportunity to see Bell Hooks on campus today. I was interested to see what she would bring to what seem like our meager campus--she didn't disappoint. She read from one of her new works, focusing a lot on the accountability that we don't always charge others with. I was also pleasantly surprised with her critiques of some recent major motion pictures, I won't say which. What is most important is that she was a powerful presence and I feel lucky to have witnessed her  address. While not quite as angry as she was in her earlier works, I'm so interested to see what she will bring to the table next. The press release for the event. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment